I will have additional comments on the Sheriff's investigation later, but I would note now that:
- The "investigation" simply repeats the story from Sheriff Jackson's previous statements .
- Sheriff Jackson apparently does not believe that the U.S. and Maryland Constitutions, which he swore to follow, contain rules that govern his department's behavior, and
- This was NOT an independent investigation but rather one where the government organization and public officials are attempting to absolve themselves of wrongdoing. I find the Sheriff's statement about as convincing as any statement by any accused criminal claiming innocence.
Prince George's County Sheriff's Department Delcares Itself Blame-Free in Cheye Calvo Raid.
Reason Online, 20 Jun 2009 (Balko).
Police and county officials have since admitted that Calvo and his family are innocent. But they stubbornly refuse to acknowledge any wrongdoing, ...MAYOR RAIDED Report: Deputies broke no rules in raid .
WMDT, 19 Jun 2009
An internal review from the Prince George's County sheriff's office says deputies acted appropriately during a raid in which they killed two dogs belonging ...Sheriff Says Deputies 'Did Their Job'; Review Finds No Wrongdoing in SWAT Raid That Killed Dogs.
Post, 19 Jun 2009 (Davis ).
The Prince George's County sheriff's office has concluded that deputies did nothing wrong when they charged into the home of the mayor of ...Dog-Killing Deputies Broke No Rules in Raid at Mayor's House.
NBC Washington, 19 Jun 2009
Last summer, police raided the home and killed the dogs of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo after drug smugglers sent a package containing 32 pounds of ...Report: Raid that killed dogs was 'acceptable'.
Associated Press, Jun 19, 2009
Police later cleared Calvo and his family of any wrongdoing. The Internal Affairs Division of the Prince George's County sheriff said in a report released ...Report: Deputies Broke No Rules In Raid.
WJZ, 19 Jun 2009 (Syeed, AP).
"This sends a chilling message that this is how they do business in Prince George's County." In addition, Calvo said law enforcement agencies have refused ...Report clears deputies in raid on mayor's home.
WTOP, 19 Jun 2009 (Guadalupe ).
In July of 2008, Prince George's County Sheriff's deputies and SWAT teams raided the home of Berwyn Heights Mayor Cheye Calvo in a case of mistaken identity ...Sheriff says deputies were justified in shooting mayor's dogs; Police release findings of investigation into Berwyn Heights raid in July 2008.
Gazette, 19 Jun 2009 (Valentine).
Prince George's County Sheriff Michael Jackson said Friday deputies acted "in a professional and acceptable manner" when ...Earlier :
- NPR Report on Calvo Raid (with link to audio), 23 Feb 2009
- Cheye Calvo on NPR Today, 18 Feb 2009
- Victim of Botched Pr. Geo.'s Raid Pushes SWAT Bill, 4 Feb 2009
- Lawyers Find Fault With Pr. George's Drug Arrests, 14 Oct 2008
- Recent news about police, sheriff, jail brutality and killings, 9 Oct 2008
- Calvo speaks out (Podcast link), 12 Sep 2008
- NAACP, Mayor Calvo request more federal oversight of public safety agencies, 11 Sep 2008
- Sheriff Claims Killing of Mayor's 2 Dogs Justified, 7 Sep 2008
- None of us is safe from police raids, 2 Sep 2008
- Feeling 'Threatened' as They Broke Into the Home, Police Opened Fire, 25 Aug 2008
- Stop using SWAT teams on civilians, 13 Aug 2008
- County losing trust in law enforcement, 12 Aug 2008
- Transcript of Mayor Calvo's Statement, 7 Aug 2008
- FBI Launches Review of Berwyn Heights Raid, 7 Aug 2008
- Shoot First, Ask Later, 7 Aug 2008
- Who will protect us from Jack's jack-booted storm troopers?, 6 Aug 2008
(Posted 21 Jun 2009)