Daily "Recent Prince George's County News" updates were suspended in early March 2016. They were compiled primarily from retweets of news headlines. Those retweets continue, but in unformatted and unarchived form at PG-Politics-Briefs. To follow such headlines on a current basis, follow @pgpolitics on Twitter.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Mary Lehman's Statement on Recent Prince George's County News

Dear Diane and interested citizens, I went on the record with the Washington Post Wednesday to say that Leslie Johnson should voluntarily forfeit her seat and spare the county further anguish and embarrassment and continued erosion of her credibility and ours as a council. If she insists on being seated, I believe her role on the council should be curtailed and she should not have a vote at the committee level, for example.

I do back Andrea Harrison for chair; she is the current vice chair and has the knowledge and skills to lead us.

I do not have strong feelings about Chief Hylton and thought he had generally done a good job. However, I was deeply troubled by news that county police officers were caught up in the illegal cigarette/alcohol/drug ring that federal prosecutors say is connected to the Johnson corruption probe.

I will end by saying while I am discouraged by the allegations and arrests, I remain hopeful that if we as elected officials are truly determined to clean up this county, we can transform Prince George's and make it the great county it has the potential to be. Despite the many challenges we face, I am optimistic; there are far more honest and honorable people than not in government and I intend to work hard and collaborate with my council colleagues and Mr. Baker to get things on the right track.

Thank you for your inquiry. I am with my kids on a pre-Thanksgiving vacation. I have not had a vacation since summer 2009 so now was the time to do it before the Dec. 6th swearing in. My ability to respond to email is limited to my BlackBerry, but I am staying on top of things with help from my staff.

Mary Lehman
Councilwoman-Elect
District 1

No comments:

Post a Comment