Daily "Recent Prince George's County News" updates were suspended in early March 2016. They were compiled primarily from retweets of news headlines. Those retweets continue, but in unformatted and unarchived form at PG-Politics-Briefs. To follow such headlines on a current basis, follow @pgpolitics on Twitter.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Slot Machines and Question 2

(Posted 30 Sep 2008)

I was asked recently if I support or oppose Question 2, the slot machine amendment to Maryland's constitution. Here is my reply.
I guess I'm still on the fence.

On the one hand, I tend to oppose most government prohibitions of things like gambling, smoking, drinking, etc., so I'm for allowing people to gamble on slots, and allowing them to do so in Maryland instead of somewhere else.

On the other hand, I strongly oppose:

  • Government conduct of gambling or similar enterprises
  • Giving the government more money to waste
  • Subsidizing the racing industry
  • Polluting the state constitution

I probably won't decide how to vote until much closer to the election, It is possible that my vote will be decided by how dirty the slots campaign gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment