- Elections Will be Focus as Md. Lawmakers Return
- wtopnews.com, 9 Jan 2006 (by Kristen Wyatt, AP writer)
- Shorter versions:
- On Heels Of Ehrlich, GOP Plans Md. Ascent
- Post, 9 Jan 2006, (by Matthew Mosk, Washington Post Staff Writer)
- Prince George's County is barely mentioned in a long story on Republican strategy, leaving the impression that Republicans have written off the county.
- Strip club study questioned; Council says establishments attract crime
- Earlier: Strip club report out, 6 Jan 2006
A University of Maryland senior research scholar has lambasted a study conducted for the Prince George's County Council that asserts strip clubs attract crime to their neighborhoods.
Scholar and dance expert Judith Lynne Hanna says the study was wrong to tie crime to strip clubs.
The study was commissioned in support of the county's efforts to regulate the clubs.
"It's a red herring," Hanna said. "The county is trying to show it's doing something to show they're doing something."
[. . .]
The County Council has not reviewed the $20,000 study - and Council Chairman Thomas Dernoga, D-Laurel, [Link] said it may not have been necessary. Current precedents, he noted, allow the county to use evidence and studies from other jurisdictions.