- Former principal appeals drug conviction .
- Hampton Roads Daily Press, 12 May 2006
.A former Norfolk school principal facing six and a half years in prison for conspiring to launder money in connection with a drug trafficking case is appealing her conviction and the sentence she received earlier this month.
Pamela Hoffler-Riddick, convicted in October of converting hundreds of thousands of dollars in drug proceeds into cars and homes from about 1999 to 2003, filed a motion for an appeal bond in U.S. District Court in Norfolk on Monday, court records show. If it's granted, Hoffler-Riddick would remain free on bond while appealing her case to a higher court.
If denied, she must report to prison on June 19.
Hoffler-Riddick, also a former educator in Virginia Beach, was the regional assistant superintendent in Prince George's County, Md., when she was arrested last year.
- Former Norfolk educator finally speaks.
- Port Folio Weekly (Norfolk), 9 May 2006 (Chernicky).
Pamela Hoffler-Riddick, her voice strained, apologized to family, former colleagues and the Norfolk community for the shame and embarrassment she caused when she agreed to launder drug money.
"But for me, the biggest hurt is that as a mother and parent, I failed my children because of my own selfishness and desire to love and be loved," the soft-spoken 45-year-old educator told the court at her sentencing May 2.
After listening to Hoffler-Riddick’s statement, U.S. District Judge Walter D. Kelley Jr. reluctantly sentenced the educator to 6 1/2 years in prison.
"To say this is a tragedy is quite an understatement," Kelley said.
Prosecutors argued that Hoffler-Riddick deserved eight years, the maximum under the sentencing guidelines.
Kelley said, "Were it left to my discretion it would be significantly less."
- Former PG school official Hoffler-Riddick sentenced, 3 May 2006
- News Briefs; Judge mulls request to acquit ex-educator of money laundering, 24 Jan 2006
- Can PG Schools Compete? . . ., 20 Oct 2005
- Hoffler-Riddick found guilty of money laundering, 14 Ocr 2005
- More on Hoffler-Riddick and a Question, 25 Jan 2005
- Fwd: Channel 9 News "Assistant Superintendent Busted in Drug Ring," 25 Jan 2005
- PG Asst. Supt. Arrested on Drug Charges, 25 Jan 2005