- '04 audit finds city schools misspent; System officials say most problems have been corrected
- Principal of Pr. George's School Replaced
- Post, 18 Jan 2006 (Metro in brief).
Prince George's County school officials named a new leader for Bladensburg High School yesterday in a shake-up intended to stabilize a campus that has been the scene of a high number of student fights and other security incidents. . . . In December, 10 students were arrested at Bladensburg High one week after a spate of incidents. . . .
- Group homes office created; New state agency to monitor programs for troubled youths
The Maryland Cabinet official in charge of child welfare established yesterday a separate office directly under his authority to license and monitor 200 privately run group homes for troubled youths.
[. . .]
Sen. Ulysses Currie, a Prince George's County Democrat who is chairman of the Budget and Taxation Committee, called yesterday's appointment a good first step but said it isn't enough because state agencies other than the DHR license and monitor group homes.
Currie has been urging the Ehrlich administration to consolidate group home oversight in a single state agency.
- Md. Senate overrides Ehrlich's veto of minimum wage hike; Republicans: Action will harm small businesses
. . . "Absent leadership on that level, the states are increasingly taking responsibility and passing this," said Del. Dereck Davis, D-Prince George's, the lead sponsor of the increase in the House. . . .
- SB 71 - 16 Jan 2006 ($400,000)
- Creation of a State Debt - Prince George's County - Family Life and Wellness Intergenerational Center
- SB 72 - 16 Jan 2006
- Prince George's County - Alcoholic Beverages - Bottle Clubs
- SB 81 - 16 Jan 2006
- Creation of a State Debt - Prince George's County - CASA Multi-Cultural Service Center ($500,000)
- Senators Britt and Ruben
- SB 82 - 16 Jan 2006
- Maryland Consolidated Capital Bond Loan of 2005 - Prince George's County - CASA Multi-Cultural Service Center