To: PrinceGeorges_ParentsNSchools_NewsInfo@yahoogroups.com, email@example.com
Date: Dec 14, 2005
Subject: PGCPS enrollments AFTER the currently proposed HS boundary reassignments
I have posted the following information on my web page http://www.hathawaybeck.com/
PGCPS enrollments AFTER the currently proposed HS boundary reassignments found at
Can Prince George's County Politicians realistically justify their 1,800 seat $82m high school in Bowie, adjacent to schools with EMPTY SEATS, as a "priority"?
- Frederick Douglass HS: 139 empty seats (89.17% utilization)
- Dr Henry A Wise Jr HS: 329 empty seats (87.35% utilization)
- Largo HS: 20 empty seats (98.92% utilization)
- C H Flowers HS: 149 empty seats (93.23% utilization)
- Bowie HS with (+800 seat) Annex: 117 seats short (104.27% utilization)
- DuVal HS with (Aug 07 +600 seat) Addition: 647 empty seats (71.29% utilization)
Was the Allen Pond HS location in Bowie decision kept out of public (and selected Board Member) oversight because it had problems with the 'little details'?
Speculation by Donna Hathaway Beck: With 647 empty seats at DuVal in Aug 07, combined with the obvious Prince George's County endorsement of the Bowie-kids-only-going-to-Bowie-schools ordinance, well, I'll bet ERoosevelt students need to brace for (1) a reassignment or (2) relocation of the Sci-Tech program. Yes, I said r-e-l-o-c-a-t-i-o-n of the ERHS program, or community kids. Pick one, because some group of students will be sitting in the new seats at Duval. Like it or not.
Let's look at 'the northern' schools using pgcps data found at:
Perhaps the unspoken but mathematically evident plan of PGCPS is ... the 'northern students' will begin a migratory Seat Search from 'the north' through ERHS to Duval? Yep. Everyone pick up and MOVE (so Bowie students can stay in Bowie schools).
- Northwestern HS: 492 seats short (123.96% utilization)
- Bladensburg HS: 138 seats short (107.18% utilization)
- E Roosevelt HS: 763 seats short (135.26% utilization)
- Parkdale HS w (Aug 07 +400 seat) Addition: 158 seats available (93.11% utilization)
Is this was Councilmember Will Campos had in mind for the students in his District when he voted, on November 29, 2005, to relocate the 'north county' high school to Bowie?
Note to Gazette Editor: Will there be a Second Edition to the "What's Wrong With Prince George's" article?
Donna Hathaway Beck
9906 Sudan Place
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772